Penn State Ice Hockey
Men's Division 1
On September 17, 2010, Penn State ice hockey returned to varsity status when the Penn State Athletic Department announced that they will ice a men's hockey progam in the NCAA Division 1. The men's program started as a varsity program in 1940 to 1944 and in 1946-47. It was suspended for 2 season during the war. The program was dropped after the 1946-47 season.The program returned in 1971-72 in the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association) and became one of the most successful club teams in the nation for 40 years.
Guy Gadowsky was named the first Head Coach of the men's NCAA Varsity ice hockey team and assembled his assistants - Keith Fisher and Matt Lindsay to complete his staff.
Penn State started as an independent for the 2012-13 season and then formed part of the Big 10 Conference starting in the 2013-14 season along with Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State and Wisconsin.
On October 12, 2012 at 7:30pm the puck dropped for the opening faceoff vs AIC. The newest chapter in Penn State hockey had begun.
The Penn State Athletic Department is extremely excited about adding men's ice hockey back to sports at Penn State. With the help of Terry and Kim Pegula's gift to fund their state-of-the-art arena, the Penn State hockey program is looking forward to a successful season.
- Penn State Ice Hockey Program Start Date - Varsity 1940, ACHA (Club) - 1971, NCAA Division 1 - 2012
- Venue - Greeenberg Ice Pavillion (Greeenberg Ice Pavillion will serve as the home for the men's Penn State hockey program for the 2012-2013 season)
- Capacity - 1350
- Teamsite - PSU Nittany Lions
- Booster Club - Nittany Lion Club
- Ticket Information - Nittany Lions Hockey Tickets
- Conference - Big Ten Conference
- Big Ten Teams -Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin
Penn State Ice Hockey Coaches
- NCAA Tournament Record - None yet
- NCAA Tournament Appearances - None yet
- NCAA Championships - None yet
- ACHA Tournament Appearances - 14(1984, '90, '93, '95, '98, '98 to 2007)
- ACHA Championships - 7 (1984, '90, '98, 2000 to '03)
# of Seniors by Position - Forwards - 1
Team Breakdown by league
- USHL - 16
- BCHL - 1
- Prep / High School - 1
- NCAA - 2
- AJHL - 1
- NAHL - 1
- CCHL - 1
- USPHL - 1
- USNTDP U-18 - 1
- Finland - 1
# Scholarships - 18
- Enrollment - 38,954
- Estimated Cost of Attendance - $16,000.00 to $30,000.00
- Avg. SAT - 1750 to 1990
- Avg. ACT - 26 to 30
- Avg. Incoming GPA - 3.52 to 3.97
- # of Majors - 160+
- Most Popular Majors - Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Engineering; and Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs
- Academic Calender Type: semester
- Student-Faculty Ratio: 17:1
- Average class size: Approximately 20 students
- Freshman Retention Rate: 84.7%
- School site - Penn State
Return from Penn State Ice Hockey to NCAA Division 1 Schools
Return from Penn State Ice Hockey to Your College Hockey Home
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.